Sunday, August 26, 2012

Introduction

This is a first for me, and hopefully will let me share my quilting projects and other creative ideas online in a manner that will make it easy to follow my progress.

My name is Laura S, and I am a mother of three young children 7 and under.  My husband is in the military and we usually move every two years or so.  Every time we move, the sewing machine has always traveled, and usually at least one storage box of fabric stash (overseas).  It is always a sigh of relief at the other end to unpack and and plug in the machine.  My first machine was a basic Singer I received from my grandmother circa 1965-ish.  This worked great for many years with curtains, dresses, and worked for me through my first quilting classes when we were stationed in Fairbanks, Alaska.  But shortly thereafter it became clear that I was probably pushing it a bit with the bigger and more frequent quilt projects.  I bought another basic Singer in 2002, and that has sufficed through the years of infrequent use due to having three kids.  It was great for traveling to sewing bees and Quilt Club meetings, etc. but stitching in the ditch was getting old.  Taking classes with others who had computerized machines made it obvious to me that I wanted an upgrade.

In August 2012 I turned forty, and the baby is now three and the girls are in school, so more quilting time!  My family bought me a Singer Futura Quartet for my birthday and I've been spending a lot of time with the 5 hours of videos, and trying to get up to speed on a computerized machine.  I've found Leah Day and her Free Motion Quilting Project to be illuminating and encouraging as I work as a beginner on free motion quilting techniques.  I've done a closet full of quilts with stitch in the ditch on the basic machines, and feel blessed that I can now expand into this next challenge.

So here we go, a new beginning with a new technique to master!

Happy quilting and creating,

Laura,   L2DS Designs

No comments:

Post a Comment